1 sheet frozen puff pastry
¼ cup olive oil
4-5 medium onions
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp fresh thyme
½ tsp rosemary
½ tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
8-10 anchovy (or sprats) fillets packed in oil
¼ cup pitted Niçoise olives, halved
Extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat the oil on high to med-high in a non-stick pan and add to it thinly sliced onions. Saute for a couple of minutes and reduce heat, slowly cooking the onions for 35-45 minutes until very soft and golden brown. Add sugar, salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary and cook for another few minutes. Set aside.
3. Take the puff pasty and place it in a greased pie/tart baking dish (I liked mine as a circle, even though the sheet was clearly a square, but instead, I just bent the corners to create cute little folds on four sides of the tart).
4. Lightly prick the crust at the bottom and carefully place the onions on the bottom, spreading them out evenly.
5. Place the sprats where appropriate on top of the onions and sprinkle with the olives.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until the edge turn golden-brown.
7. Remove from oven, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve warm.