Apricot Strawberry Crumble
adapted from Nigella Lawson
1 1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar or Sugar in the Raw, or demerara sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 ½ cups apricots, chopped into 1 inch chunks
1 quart strawberries washed, hulled, quartered
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugars, vanilla, salt and lemon zest. Mix everything thoroughly. Add the melted butter. Mix until small and large clumps form. Set aside or refrigerate until needed.
3. In another bowl combine apricots, strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, flour, vanilla and pinch of salt. Place the mixture in a 9×9 pyrex baking dish.
4. Cover the fruit with topping – you want the topping to be evenly distributed.
5. Bake the crumble for about 40-50 minutes – you want the topping to be golden brown just like in the picture above – you also want to see some bubbling of berries underneath.
Note: It helps with oven clean-up if underneath your glass baking dish you put a nice, flat cookie sheet or something. Your fruit might drip and spill over. Mine didn’t, but I’ve had pie messes before and I don’t know about you, but I don’t like cleaning them up. This rather simple precaution is a huge time-saver, if you ask me.