Apple Cranberry Pie with Honey-Bourbon Caramel
Pie Filling Ingredients:
5-6 lb firm tart apples, like Granny Smith
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
Honey Bourbon Caramel Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup mild honey
2 tbsp bourbon
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
All-butter pastry dough (recipe along with tips on how to work with pie dough here)
1 tablespoon whole milk
1. Core and slice your apples and in a medium bowl, toss them with flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in cranberries. Set aside.
2. Put a foil-lined large baking sheet in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
3. Bring 1/2 cup sugar, honey, bourbon and water to a boil in a 1 1/2- to 2-qt heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then wash down any sugar crystals from side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Boil without stirring, swirling pan occasionally so caramel colors evenly, until dark amber, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add butter, swirling pan until butter is melted. Be careful here as the caramel will hiss and spatter. Pour over fruit and toss (caramel may harden slightly but will melt in oven). Take a few minutes to lick the spoon and the inside of the pot because this is pure heaven.
5. Roll out 1 piece of dough (keep remaining piece chilled) into a 13-inch round on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Chill shell while rolling out remaining dough.
6. Roll out remaining piece of dough into an 11-inch round on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin.
7. Transfer filling to pie shell, mounding it. Cover pie with pastry round. Trim with kitchen shears, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Press edges together, then crimp decoratively. Brush top all over with some of milk, then sprinkle with remaining Tbsp sugar. Cut 3 steam vents in top crust with a paring knife.
8. Bake pie on hot baking sheet 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Continue to bake until crust is golden-brown and filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes more. Cool pie to room temperature, 3 to 4 hours.