Since I started working from home again, I’ve been asked what I wear in the confines of my home office. Do I really sit around in my sweats until the afternoon? Have I splurged on stylish yet comfy loungewear? Neither, really.
I have to admit, I’m not the most adventurous when it comes to clothing, whether or not I’m spending the day at home—or out and about. I prefer to have fewer and simpler pieces in my closet—it makes getting dressed in the morning less stressful and I’ve grown to recognize what I like and what works for me.
When Andrew isn’t traveling for work, he drops Avi off at daycare in the morning and I pick him up in the evening. As soon as they are out the door, I spend about fifteen minutes tidying up the apartment; then quickly I shower and get dressed. I don’t like to spend more than twenty minutes on this part, so I’ve put together a streamlined approach to clothing. By the way, this is pretty much the way I dressed when I had to go into an actual office.
Since our apartment is quite chilly this time of year, I am all about comfy, soft basics…
- Soft long-sleeve tees: I like these and these.
- Jeans: A former colleague turned me onto Madewell, and I found a style that fits me well. Since I hate trying on jeans more than anything, I’ve stuck with them for the last several years. The price point is decent, the jeans last a long time, and if you bring Madewell an old pair of jeans you can no longer wear (doesn’t matter the brand or the condition), they’ll knock $20 off a pair you buy from them. For the curious, they recycle the old jeans—I think it’s marvelous.
- Warm, soft sweaters: I’m a big ninny when it comes to scratchiness, so I stick to a few cashmere sweaters, which I wear over and over. One is a zip-up hoodie, like a version above, made by Vince, that I inherited from Andrew’s cousin about five years ago. It has a hole in the pocket, which I’ll mend, and it’s soft and durable. I also have a couple of J Crew waffle knit cashmere sweaters (courtesy of my mother-in-law), which were on a huge (!) sale. The version I have is sold out, sadly.
- Socks with cool patterns: These look fun.
- Fuzzy slippers: I’m an unabashed fan of these LL Bean slippers and it’s basically all I wear at home from November through April.
I’m curious, do any of you have a uniform and if you do, what is it?